Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Best of Western Washington

About four, maybe five years ago, we had a customer who used our services through Op: Love Reunited nominate our business for “The Best of Western Washington”.  We felt honored that this customer took that time to nominate us.  At the time, there were maybe 50 photographers listed and we were in the top 12 photographers (top 20%). 

Last year, I counted close to 500 photographers and I told my husband we were just one in a crowd of photographers.  I did a bit to garner votes for our business.  And I know we ended up in the top 10% – going between 37 - 40.   At first I was a bit down because we weren’t in the top 10.  Yet, in reality we did better than when we were in the top 12 as there were far more photographers being considered.

This year, when I received notice from King 5 about the nominations I just gave it a glance over and moved on with my work.  I wasn’t going to stress over it, I wasn’t even going to look.

Yeah, right!  When a DJ friend asked if I would vote, I went and gave him a vote.  And there I was in the wedding section looking to see if any of my favorites were in the top 5.  Yes, there was Celebrity Cake (yum yum), there was Susan Haas with her harp, and several others I knew and respected.

Then it was the photographer section.  I stopped, should I look?  No?  Yes? No? Yes?  I was torn.  So, I looked, maybe half expecting to see a train wreak. 

First I started by counting how many photographers were listed this year …. SIX HUNDRED & SEVENTY FIVE, yes, 675!!!  And you ask where in that number are we?

Glad you asked!  We are #50!  I know, WHO gets excited about being number 50?  Me! =) 

It means we are in the top 10% (7%), that we have customers who care enough to vote for us.  It means … it means they moved me to tears!  I’ve been struggling the past few months, with the Living Social special we had, it overloaded my work schedule and I feel I haven’t been giving our customers all they deserve.  I feel they deserve photographs that last a lifetime, that will tell a story to their great, great grandchildren once they’ve been long gone.

While I still put my heart and soul into my business with each and every photograph, I feel a lot of pressure lately to complete work within a tight timeline.  Which I worry that our customers aren’t getting the absolute very best from me and I only want to give my best to each and every customer no matter what package or how much they spent. 

I’m grateful to Living Social, they provided us some much needed income while my husband was unemployed (his job moved to AZ), they helped with our Google rankings and they introduced us to some wonderful new families!

Anyway, I certainly didn’t mean to get into a ‘rant’ of sorts here.  I was simply going to ask that if you like us, we would most certainly appreciate and value your vote on King 5’s Best of Western Washington.

You can find our link here –>  “Give Family Affair Photography some lovin’

~ 253-970-5689 ~ info@familyaffairphotography.com ~ www.familyaffairphotography.com ~

2 comments:

  1. Monica,
    You are so "right on" here. Your clients are voting for you because they appreciate your hard work, your attitude and your craft when it comes to capturing their big day! That's awesome that you are #50 (and may have even finished higher once those tallies are in!) I can't imagine having a category with SO many vendors. THAT is a true honor! And thank you also for your vote for me! Best, Susan Haas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last I saw we were standing at #25 which to me is AMAZING! I owe so many thanks to everyone who has given us moral support from our wonderful customers to other wedding vendors. Please know I am truly grateful for each and every vote.

    Monica

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to share the love! Leave a comment for us or for those photographed.