Monday, April 30, 2012

Consider the Photography ~ photography fads

It seems recently there has been an abundance of photographers who are getting “creative” with their editing – adding a vintage look or blowing out the photo (too much light), etc..  While I have no issues with being creative, in fact I’m all for it and definitely like to have some fun with a few photographs every now and then.  However, more than anything, I want the photographs we take to stand the test of time and not be ‘so 2011’!  The creative edits should be an exception not the rule.


When we first started our business in 2005 the big trend was to do spot color.  Spot color is where you have one item with color and the rest of the photograph is black and white.  It’s extremely rare when we get a request for this particular treatment to a photo anymore.  The photograph below depicting the spot of color from a wedding we photographed in 2006.  BTW, aren’t those two simply adorable?  Why the focus should be on their flowers, is beyond me!

mon01-47 copy
What happened in 2005-2007, with the spot color, is equivalent to what is happening now with the washed-out vintage fad.  I imagine in another year or two that will be ‘so 2011’! and not stand the test of time.  Don’t be wooed by fads, look beyond the fads!


engagement photography - Family Affair Photography 09
I must admit, I asked another photographer if he could edit the photo above as I was unhappy with all my attempts at this particular  “artistic” edit that I’ve seen and heard about from other photographers and brides alike.  And knowing the photographer, I know it was hard for him too! My husband had to keep reminding me it looked like what I was attempting and I just didn’t like it because I like the photos that last through the years.  I guess I just don’t see the above photo being one to share years down the road unless you want your grandchildren to laugh about how primitive the printers were back in your day.  Luckily, I already see the above fad quickly fading.


test 2
Now really what would you rather have, the faded out/muted look in the first photo or the bottom photo where you can see the features on the couple and the subtle pinks of the evening sky.
Another big thing we’ve noticed that seems to get overused is the fisheye.  Occasionally we do like to use a star filter to make lights twinkle or use a fisheye lens for an overall view.  If we do it, it’s for one or two photos.  If you do it all the time or often, it loses its impact. 

There is just no substitute for a properly composed and exposed photograph.  Those are the ones that people will treasure 20 years from now.  Part of it is the photographers learning curve, a true photographer learns to use lighting and composition to bring out the best of the wedding/event not photo editing tricks and gimmicks.  How will your children and grandchildren view your wedding?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know you want to share the love! Leave a comment for us or for those photographed.